Friday, June 27, 2008

Our First Day in North Yorkshire

It is quite a different world here in North Yorkshire. We went from high rise buildings and amazing architecture to small villages and houses with thatched roofs and pastures as far as the eye can see. Scotty and I went on a hike our first day. This is just a picture of me standing on the edge of the incredibly narrow road.

We are staying with Scotty's great uncle John. He will be referred to as UJ from now on. UJ has not been in great health lately. He has developed dementia and has to have someone help with all of his meals, his bath, etc. He refuses to move to a home even though they have public health care and wonderful places are available. The problem is that he has no close family nearby. We found out that he does have wonderful neighbors and friends here willing to help out and to offer company as often as they can. Pray for UJ. He is not a believer and refuses to listen to any talk about God. He has become quite bitter and talks about committing suicide frequently. He needs your prayers. We do also while we are here talking with him.

This is a picture of UJ's house from up the hill. He has a beautiful garden in the back and the flowers are from his garden.


This is the view past UJ's garden. My favorite are the black sheep. I think that they look cuddly!! You should hear the baas that go on... sheep are louder than you think.

This first day Scotty and I went on a hike to a hill called Lady Hill. I will get a picture of it up soon. It is really just a clump of trees on the top of a hill in the middle of all these pastures. There are the remains of an old stone wall around the trees. When we walked up there, sadly, we found a long dead sheep. It was really just the wool and legs left. It was absolutely terrible. Well, here are some pictures of things along the way.

A gaggle of geese!





With all those sheep and cows you are sure to find tons and tons of this.
It is everywhere!!! (Scotty even got some on his shoes!)


I have never seen so many bunnies and bunny holes. This the closest that we could get to one.

Here is picture that Scotty took of the beautiful grasses in the fields on our way up.


Every fence is really a wall made of stone. We had to climb over the fence on our way to Lady Hill. It really was tricky business. The stones shift and make it really difficult to feel secure getting over. I was proud when I made it.

2 comments:

just jeannie said...

The countryside is beautiful,it was nice to see pictures of you and Scotty.

Scotty & Lisa said...

I love you Mom!!