Monday, June 23, 2008

London Calling

Who knew that in London you can have a slow internet connection? But I guess I was in Horsham, not necessarily London.
Anyway, we have been having a spectacular time on our journeys. I am going to outline them for you. I will try to go in order and not bore you, but the pictures should be interesting anyway!
Here is day 1 of actual activity... the whole first day was spent on a plane.
We rode the train into London Victoria station and decided to walk to our destination. We went the wrong direction, but realized it shortly and headed toward Westminster Abbey. The architecture is amazing. This abbey is filled with tombs of past royalty and others. There are monuments to everyone and the ceiling is amazing. Of course, you cannot take pictures inside, so all I have is the outside. It is enough!



After Westminster Abbey, we headed down the street to Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament.


Next we went on a ride on the London Eye. It is magnificent and the people watching while waiting in line isn't bad either. The views of London were spectacular like the one of Big Ben and Parliament above.




After the London Eye, we hopped on the all convenient Underground and I had my first ride on a subway. It was, of course, fast-paced, crowded and hot, but there was something exciting about it because I was in London. We went to the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge. I loved this part. We got to see the Crown Jewels, the Armory, and many other educational things... like the different ways that people were tortured in the Tower. When we went to look at the Tower Bridge, there were two large sailboats passing through so we actually got to see the bridge open for the boats to pass.





Our final stop of the first day was Kensington Gardens so that I could see the Peter Pan statue. This was something that I had been looking forward to for a while. Sadly, I had a migraine and was feeling pretty sick the whole afternoon.


When we got to the train station after many mishaps on the part of the Underground, it was 9:00 at night. We exited the train station a different way and could not find our way back to the house that we were staying at. I was sick and thought that I would throw up. When we finally found home, Muriel wanted us to eat tomato soup and cheese and crackers. I could not make it through dinner. I ended up running upstairs to the bathroom and throwing up everything that I had eaten that day.

It was a glorious first day, although it ended not so pleasantly. I am sure that we will look back on that part fondly too... or not. Well, it is 10:30 at night here in North Yorkshire and we have had a long day of travel. Stay tuned for day 2.

2 comments:

Emily Chappell said...

How fun (minus the throwing up)! I LOVE London! You should try to get to a service at Westminster while you are there. Very traditional!
Keep the pictures coming!!

just jeannie said...

The pictures are beautiful!Thanks for sharing. We miss you very much!
Love Mom & Dad